Tutte Politiche (aka All Things Political)

A place for a PhD candidate to rant, rave and discuss revelant political issues: Canadian, American and Comparative.

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Liberals in Trouble: Fundraising in Saskatchewan 2006

I've had a little time lately so I've been checking out the Elections Canada website.

I did a quick analysis of the fundraising performance of candidates in Saskatchewan during the 2006 election.

So here's what I found (and its pretty tell of what happened in Saskatchewan in the last election)

Fundraising totals:

Conservative (N=14 candidates)
Average number of contributions per candidate = 166
Average contribution = $210.60

NDP (N=14 candidates)
Average number of contributions per candidate = 76
Average contribution = $146.34

Liberal (N=12 candidates)
Average number of contributions per candidate = 58
Average contribution = $333.00

Conclusion:
What the results from Saskatchewan show us is that on the ground, in the ridings, Liberal candidates did not have a broad base of support and could not raise money from many people. This is understandable if you understand Saskatchewan politics, but it also underscores the importance for the party to build a fundraising base that focuses primarily on small donors. Contributors are probably more likely to vote and get involved.

During the leadership campaign, we should be asking ourselves who is best to build a national fundraising network? Who has the name recognition and appeal to build a network quickly and effectively? With the new $1000.00 limit, the Liberals will have to move quickly to change the way the party raises money.

4 Comments:

  • At 3:38 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    As someone who lives in SK, I completely agree with you. This is a progessive province. The proof is in the provincial elections where the NDP regularly win elections much as the Liberals regularly win the Federal elections.

    I think that, federally speaking, the Liberals have a great opportunity in SK, much more so than in Alberta. Although a large win here may not produce the desired quantity of seats, it would provide a huge psychological benefit. As things stand now, the perception is that west of Manitoba is blue and there is little hope of turning it red.

    The problem is how the Liberals have come to talk to the west, connecting with the voters in a poor to barely fair way. Their knowledge of the issues of farming, mining, and economic development, say in Saskatoon, which is very progressive and growing steadily, must be fully researched. Did I mention farming? They need to get their butts down here and sit at some kitchen tables with some farmers, and take notes. If they make SK their case study for the west, they have a solid chance of winning the NDP'ers over, getting some red seats on the western map and learning powerful lessons which will translate well with MB and AB people. Then who knows what will happen. The key word here is farmers. I am an NDP voting, ex-farm wife and I am chomping to vote a Liberal candidate into power in my riding. But I don't hear them talking to me come election time. I feel passed over. They aren't connecting. Yet when I study the Liberal platform, I say, holy shit, this is what we need here!

    Liberal Party - please rescue me from all these Conservative ridings. I am dying here in blue(federally) SK. You have got to talk to my neighbours and shake some sense into them.

     
  • At 5:57 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    We miss you Tutte!

     
  • At 12:45 PM , Blogger Dave said...

    Sorry guys, I've been getting ready to a move to Calgary. Once I'm there, I'll write more frequently.

     
  • At 1:27 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home